Should You Look for Bonuses While Choosing a Credit Card?
Most people are looking at the best rewards credit cards. Because of this, some people aren’t looking for any other options. If you’re choosing a card that has rewards and bonuses, though, it’s worth doing your research to find out what those bonuses are like.
Why Should You Look for Bonuses?
You should be looking for bonuses because bonuses are a great way to get extra value from your credit card.
Many of the best travel rewards cards offer lucrative signup bonuses that can be worth hundreds or even thousands of dollars in free travel. By spending a certain amount within the first few months of opening your new credit card, you’ll earn enough points to make it worthwhile.
What Kinds of Bonuses Can You Expect to Find?
When it comes to credit card bonuses, there are a few different types:
- Cash back. This is the most common type of bonus and the easiest to understand. You earn cash back on every purchase you make with your card, and those earnings accumulate in your account until you redeem them for rewards. Depending on the card’s terms and conditions, you can choose to redeem your earnings as a statement credit (which removes the amount from your balance), as store gift cards or merchandise, as checks sent to you by mail, or some other method. You can also use a 3% cash back credit card for extra benefits. “Receive a physical card by mail in 7-10 business days after getting approval,” as SoFi professionals say.
- Travel rewards. These bonuses typically come with travel-related perks like airport lounge access, hotel elite status benefits and priority boarding privileges at airlines—all things that regular travelers might really appreciate but may not usually be worth paying extra for unless offered at no charge with their credit cards.
How Do You Sign Up for a Bonus?
You can visit the card issuer’s website if you want to sign up for a bonus. You can also sign up for a bonus by calling your customer service number. Another option is to mail in a form or complete an online application through their site. You can find the mailing address on their website; it should be listed under “Contact Us” or something similar on their main page.
How Do You Select a Bonus?
When you’re looking for a bonus, there are three things to consider:
- The highest value of the bonus. Finding the card with the highest value of points or miles makes sense if you want to cash out your rewards and use them towards a purchase.
- The bonus that suits your needs. Some bonuses require certain spending thresholds before they can be redeemed, while others offer only one specific redemption option (such as cashback). Make sure that any given card’s terms are consistent with what you plan on using its rewards for.
- A bonus that works for your lifestyle and budget—if it’s too difficult or expensive to use regularly, then there’s no point in trying!
If you’re looking for a credit card, bonuses are an easy way to save money on your everyday purchases. They can be great for building up rewards or just getting cash back on every purchase you make. To find out more about what kind of bonuses are available, check out the list of the best credit cards with signup bonuses.